Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Fleet Feet

After a rest day yesterday, I was fully planning to run this morning. Of course, I had a couple things to get done here around the house before work as well, which took way longer than planned (and still didn't get done). As you probably already figured out, no run this morning.

When I got home from work today (at almost 7pm) the kids were waiting for me to play some chess. Yes, they are in the "Chess Club" at school. All the cool kids are doing it. So, two games of chess while eating dinner, then getting the kids down, all the normal stuff.

I finally got out at 9pm, and figured I would just get some junk miles. When I started out, I felt pretty good, so I started to push it a bit. I ran my normal 5 mile loop, which is 3.5 miles downhill followed by a fairly brutal 1.5 mile climb to get home. I was hoping to get to the 3.5 mile mark in 27 minutes to give me a chance to run this loop under 40 minutes, which I haven't done this year. (I haven't really tried, but still...) When I got to the mark I checked my watch and I was at 25 minutes even, essentially 7:10 per mile to that point. So I kept the effort stable as I climbed and I finished up in 37:36, about 7:30 / mile for a run that finishes with about a 400 foot climb.

It will be interesting to see how I keep everything going to next two weeks. I have been very lucky to not have any travel for the last year, which is not normal in my line of work. My luck has run out, I will be out 2 to 3 days each of the next two weeks. Need to keep it going while traveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment