Monday, January 31, 2011

Seriously Forrest, Take a Break

Sometimes it is hard to explain to non-runners what the appeal of running is. And other times it can even be hard to explain this to dedicated runners. Tonight was my weekly running club that heads out from our local Micro-brewery for a 6-8 mile easy run. Normally there are anywhere from 5 to 10 folks in the longest group, which I run with. These guys have some chops, and my running credentials do not hold a lot of water with this crew. Multiple Boston runners, front of the pack ultra runners, etc. Needless to say there were only 4 of us that started the run tonight. All but one turned around at 2 miles to head back to the bar. Guess who the one was.

I did not go far, about 6 miles. I suppose it was the 8 degree temps, or the horizontal snow blowing in the 20 mile per hour winds, that turned everyone else around. Seriously, I had a really nice run. Sometimes it takes that kind of night to really clear my head. Hard to explain.

I got back to the bar. Everyone was laughing and cheering that I made it. All I could think was that if I had not promised Jen I would be home, and I really wanted to see the kids before bed, I would still be out there. Because I enjoy it.

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment