Monday, June 21, 2010

Speeding Up???

Ok, one thing that has been difficult for me to deal with since starting the Ultra training is that I have ultimately gotten slower. This does not happen to everyone, but since my training time is limited it was all long, slow distance runs. Not that I was ever truly fast, but I definitely had more speed 18 months ago than I do now.

Over the last 8 weeks I have been slowly getting a better routine, complete with weights and cycling, even an occasional swim. I have done a bit of track work and some hill repeats, but not really anything that should move the needle very much. That's why it felt sooo good tonight.

I have a normal 5 mile loop I run from the house, that is one of my standard runs. It is nice as it is exactly 5 miles door to door, so it is a good measure of my general fitness. Also, it includes the hellacious Flying W Ranch hill, which is a 1.5 mile grind to finish the run. I have not been able to break 40 minutes this year, in fact I have not broken 41 minutes this year. Tonight I ran it in 38:26. Never mind that I am still about 2 minutes off where I could be, the good news is I am getting there. Since the run finishes with a serious hill, I had to run 7 minute miles for the first 3.5 miles to make the finish, so that was a good test as well.

Just to cap it off, there were three owls hooting to each other from two neighbors houses when I got home, too cool.

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment