Friday, June 19, 2009

Dangers of Early Morning Running

I generally run before work during the week, which means out the door by 5:30 am most mornings. The challenge to this, of course, is DO NOT wake any children. Running as much as I do is hard enough on my beautiful wife, leaving her at 5:30 am with a screaming toddler is not a part of the reality I enjoy.

This morning, I was going through my normal routine. Out of bed, head to the office in my jammies to put on my running clothes that were left there the night before, down a slimfast (cheap, easily digestible calories at 5am) and head out the door. Except, this morning, as soon as my hand hit the door knob, I heard it.... Mason started screaming. This is not good. I hate to miss a run, but I cannot leave, or I better be prepared to not come back. As I was heading to Mason's room to get him before he woke the rest of the herd, Jen followed me up the stairs, and said to just go. She must have detected my fear that I was going to miss a run (I really do not hide it well). She rocks.

This project is definitely not something I am doing alone, there should really be more credit to Jen than myself. She is the one with the kids when I am out training. For me, the training is easy, I love to run. Don't forget, Jen is also training for a major event. She will be running the Pikes Peak Ascent the weekend before my race. This is a half marathon (13.1 miles) with a little twist. You ascend 7800 feet up Pikes Peak on rocky singletrack to a summit elevation of 14,100 feet. She is superwoman, huh?

Well, it was a beautiful morning, I got in a nice 7 miles, mostly on singletrack, and some great hills. In fact, I had a total of 1168 feet elevation gain today. Pretty good for just a run through the neighborhood, of course I have a very cool neighborhood!!

Off to pack for camping this weekend!!

1 comment:

  1. Scott,
    Sounds great. I was suprised that a few of my friends have donated. Love it! Will try to get more interest.

    Love

    Dad

    ReplyDelete